Leg ulcer/gangrene can be caused by the disease of blood vessels. Apart from the treatment of underlying disease good ulcer cares helps in early recovery.
⦁ Peripheral arterial disease
⦁ Varicose veins
⦁ Deep venous thrombosis
If not treated on time can lead to leg amputation
Causes of Gangrene
Gangrene occurs due to lack of blood supply to some organs of body. Normally it occurs in organs that are located away from heart i.e. toes and fingers and other vital organs of body as well. If it left untreated it can be life-threatening. Gangrene requires emergency medical treatment as it may cause amputations and death.Early diagnosis can help to reduce complications.
Leg Ulcer/Gangrene Diagnosis and Treatment
For the diagnosis of gangrene, first doctor performs blood test to check WBC count. If it is elevated, it shows the presence of infection. Sometimes doctor may perform imaging tests like X-ray, CT scan or MRI to examine severity of gangrene. Diagnosis process also include angiogram to check artery blockage and tissue culture testing to examine clostridium perfringens.
Treatment for leg ulcer depends totally on type and severity of gangrene. The primary aim of treatment is to prevent further complications. The treatment options include:
- Use of intravenous antibiotic: This treatment option is used if there is bacterial infection.
- Vascular Surgery: vascular surgery is preferred if there is improper blood flow due to artery blockage. It improves blood flow through veins and arteries.
- Hyperbaric oxygen chamber: This treatment is used for the treatment of gas gangrene. It is useful to stop or slow down the bacterial growth occurring due to absence of oxygen rich environment. This treatment supply oxygen to damaged tissue and also improves tissue healing.
- Tissue debridement: It is performed to remove the dead tissues. It also helps to prevent spreading of infection.
- Skin graft: It is used to replace damaged tissue in severe gangrene. In certain gangrene cases, removal of affected parts such as toe or finger is necessary.